Wednesday, July 22, 2009

How to quit smoking: Should you buy an electronic cigarette?



I am here to educate you about electronic cigarettes: What they are, how they work, and where to purchase them.

I will discuss the advantages and disadvantages of electronic cigarettes, and offer my experience as a motivation for others to take the necessary steps towards a healthier future.As time goes on I will also be reviewing new products and giving the big thumbs up or thumbs down.

When I purchased my first e-cig it was a daunting process. I did not know anything about them and I could not find the information I needed to make an educated decision in one place. I had to search the internet for days and sift through several bad products until I found the e-cig that was right for me. I am here to save you the trouble of going through what I went through.

What is an Electronic Cigarette? 

An electronic cigarette, or e-cig, is a smoking device that delivers nicotine to the user in the form of vapor.

How does an e-cig work? 

Most e-cigs consist of 3 major parts: a battery, anatomizer, and a nicotine cartridge.

Inside of the battery is suction controlled switch. Every time you take a drag from the e-cig it activates the switch and the battery supplies power to the atomizer.

The atomizer contains a tiny coil that heats up when the battery is activated. Liquid on the coil is then heated up producing a smoke like vapor that the user inhales.

The cartridge contains liquid that is slowly released into the atomizer.

There are two types of e-cigs:
2 piece: the atomizer is built into the disposable cartridge. example
3 piece: the atomizer and cartridge are separate. example

What does it taste like? 

The taste all depends on what flavor of cartridge you choose. Flavors can include tobacco, menthol, mint, coffee, vanilla, strawberry, peach, etc. Depending on what brand of e-cig you buy, you can find just about any flavor you would want.

For the most part the flavors taste like what say will.
However, out of all the tobacco flavors I have tried they do not taste like cigarette tobacco, more like a sweet chewing tobacco. This may be a good or a bad thing depending on your taste. Personally I love the tobacco flavor.

What does it smell like? 

Well, it smells like whatever flavor cartridge you have in. If you are using a vanilla cartridge then the vapor will smell faintly of vanilla. The smell is very faint and barely noticeable, and it will not stick to your cloths. This has been one of my favorite qualities of electronic cigarettes. I do not smell like an ashtray anymore.

Advantages 

Clean Vapor: No tar or carcinogens.
Variety: Switch your flavor whenever you get bored.
Use indoors: Smoking laws do not apply as there is no second hand smoke.
Price: A lot cheaper in the long run. You can save thousands a year.
Convenience: Pull it out, take a few puffs, and put it away. No waste and no litter.

Disadvantages 

You might do what I did and accidentally throw it out your car window when you are driving. OOPS!

Who should I buy from? 

I have purchased many brands over the last couple of years. Some of them have been good and some of them have been bad. It is very important that you find a trusted site with good customer service to purchase from. At the moment there are a couple of sites that I can comfortably recommend to anyone looking for a quality e-cig (This list will expand as I conduct more reviews and evaluate different brands).

Recommended: Both offer excellent products and great customer service.
www.greensmoke.com 2-piece design
www.myluci.com 3-piece design

What should I buy? 

2 piece or 3-piece

This is really a just a matter of personal preference, but I will highlight the differences so you can decide which would be better for you.

2-piece
Advantages:
Since the atomizer and the cartridge are one piece you are free to switch them whenever you feel like a new flavor. With a 3-piece you would need to clean the atomizer before you switch flavors.
You get a brand new atomizer each time you put on a new cartridge. You never have to worry about your atomizers failing.
Disadvantages:
Cartridges for 2-piece designs cost a little more.
www.greensmoke.com 2-piece design
www.smoke51.com 2-piece design

3-piece
Advantages:
Cartridges are usually cheaper
Disadvantages:
Have to clean the atomizer when you want to switch flavors
Atomizers can sometimes fail after a long period of use.
www.myluci.com 3-piece design
www.smoke51.com 3-piece design

Who should I stay away from? 

I have had bad experiences with several vendors and I would advise you to STAY AWAY!

Blu: Stay far away from blu ecigs. It is a new company and they have not got it together yet. They over marketed their product and now they do not have the supply to meet the demand. Orders are backed up and there are people that have been waiting for months to get receive their purchase. I have used their product and the battery life is horrible. I spend more time recharging batteries than actually smoking. I ended up throwing it away because it was not worth the hassle.

Vendors with cheap generic e-cigs: These are ordered directly from china and they often arrive at your door in tattered boxes filled with non-working parts. I have personally owned almost every generic out there and I would advise you to save yourself the trouble and buy a good electronic cigarette right off the bat. You will be a lot happier with your purchase and less likely to go back to traditional cigarettes.

1 comment: